The Institute for New Music (INM) is dedicated to promoting new music inside the university in cooperation with other institutes and facilities as well as cooperating with external institutions, ensembles, and individuals. This is done through a variety of activities:
- Concerts in which music by composition students and other composers is performed by the Ensemble for New Music, which consists of instrumental students from the University of Music Karlsruhe, also in the form of interdisciplinary and suprainstitutional network projects.
- Master classes with guest composers as well as artists from other fields.
- Workshops with instrumentalists who report on the possibilities and pitfalls of their instruments, often in collaboration with relevant instrumental divisions and specialized groups.
- Collaborations, first hearings, and concerts with external ensembles, in which sketches and ideas by composition students are initially rehearsed and discussed, until finished compositions are finally premiered.
- Encounters and exchange projects with students from other universities and nations.
- Collaboration with broadcasters in the form of joint seminars to which editors are invited and broadcasts designed by the students themselves.
- Field trips to significant concerts and festivals.
... and many other activities that have not yet been thought of and may be pioneered in future by INM members.